Friday, August 5, 2011

Indian Pipe Plant



So the other day I went for a walk and discovered some Indian Pipe Plant growing in the area.  It's an interesting little plant, that when touched will turn to black goo, or blacken and wither, so harvesting it, is not an option.  This interesting little plant has no chlorophyll, so naturally it is eerily devoid of colour.  In fact it almost has a luminescent quality that reminds me of glow in the dark toys that suck up the light from the sun and when you put them in the dark, they glow.  Due to the nature of the plant being so easy to destroy and the fact that it is a parasite and requires two hosts makes the Pipe Plant rather uncommon.






Since the plant has no chlorophyll, it cannot make it's own food, therefore it's survival relies on a host. Two hosts actually, one being a mushroom either the Russula or the Lactarius, that the plant can attach itself to the mycelia (root like threads) of the above mentioned fungii, which is already taking nutrients from a beech or pine tree.


Now luckily for me, I had been out mushroom hunting and noted that not only were some Amanitas both Muscarias and some Pantherinas nearby, but also there were some Russula.  I noticed them peeking out from beneath the gnarled roots of pine that grow near the pathway into Westwood Lake by the mobile home.  I did not pick up any of the mushrooms, I was not in the headspace to sort out good from bad, but I took note of their shape and form, drew a few by hand because I find the shapes appealing and there has always been some secret there that I know one day I will unlock, that day is close, but it is not here yet.
However; I know that I will find the amanitas again, probably come fall, just before Samhain, which is my goal really, to have some amanitas for Samhain, and as a backup, I will see if I can pick up some amanita oleum, only to take a small dose.  I'm not looking for a full on drug trip, just a more heighted experience of my normal journies over the hedge.


No comments:

Post a Comment